There is no direct link between alcohol and hepatitis but when you drink alcohol, during its processing in the liver, it releases a lot of toxic by-products which can damage the liver cells by limiting the body’s ability to absorb and metabolize food due to the inflammation caused by toxic products.
- Already present liver disorders or infections
- Overconsumption of alcohol
- The timing of consumption of alcohol
- Metabolizing defects in liver
- Your abdomen may become painful and tender.
- Ascites –fluid accumulation in the abdomen.
- The mouth becomes dry.
- Feeling unusually thirsty
- Gaining weight even with not much of an appetite.
- Feeling of tiredness
- Faint or light-headiness
- Feeling confused.
- Nausea, vomiting with blood
- Paleness, yellowing of skin and eyes which can indicate the onset of jaundice
- Easy bleeding and bruising
- Tender hepatomegaly
- Spider angiomata, encephalopathy
- Complete physical examination of the liver and spleen by the doctor.
- Liver function test
- CT scan of the abdomen
- Complete blood count
- Liver biopsy
- First and foremost is to quit drinking to prevent the worsening of the condition.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs such as NSAIDS like ibuprofen will reduce inflammation and pain and will improve liver function.
- Vitamin and nutrient supplements for malnourished through a nasogastric feeding tube if you have trouble in eating.
- Liver transplant is an option when the liver is severely damaged.
- Glucocorticosteroids such as prednisolone are beneficial in patients with hepatic encephalopathy to reduce mortality.
- ALCOHOL COUNSELLING PROGRAM: the patient should be made to realize that there is no medication for alcohol injury except abstinence so that the patient can be encouraged to get participate in the program
To prevent further complications:
- Avoid alcohol as much as you can or decrease the amount of intake.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Vaccination for hepatitis B to prevent hepatitis in future
- Protecting yourself from both hepatitis B AND hepatitis C by not sharing infected needles, having protected sex to prevent body fluids from transmitted can help.