What are the Symptoms of Bile Reflux
- There could be a pain in the upper abdominal which can be extremely severe.
- Also, you might experience some burning sensation in your chest which can even then spread out to your throat, which will give you a sour taste in your mouth.
- Weight loss that is totally unintended
What are the Causes of Bile Reflux
- Peptic ulcers: the pyloric valve can be blocked because of peptic ulcers and this will not open much and empty let the stomach empty as rapidly as it should. If there is stagnant food in the stomach then that will eventually lead to an increased gastric pressure that will reflux bile and the stomach acid into the esophagus.
- The gallbladder surgery: if you are someone who has got your gallbladder removed then you will have more bile reflux in comparison to those people who have not undergone this surgery.
- Complications of surgery: most of the damage that occurs to the pyloric valve will happen due to the complication of gastric surgery wherein the total stomach will be removed and the gastric bypass surgery for loss of weight.
You need to go to visit a doctor if you feel that you are experiencing symptoms of bile reflux. Here are some tips that will be helpful while you are preparing to visit your doctor for further consultation.
- The next important thing that you shouldn’t skip is making a list of your medical history as well as your medical information. You might be taking some daily vitamins or medicines – so include them in your list.
- Ask a family or friend with whom you seem to be comfortable with to come along with you for the appointment, if possible. They might be able to give you some support as well as remember what the doctor has told you more effectively.
- Also, write down the queries that need clarification from the doctor. You shouldn’t shy away from asking questions which pertain to your health especially. You can save a lot of your time and your doctor’s as well if you already have your questions prepared well in advance.
- Inhibitors of the proton pump: this medication will help in the blocking of the production of acid. But you should know that they don’t really have a clear role in the treatment of bile reflux.
- Sequestrants of the bile acid: with the help of this treatment the bile circulation will be disrupted. This can be of some help to those people who are undergoing bile reflux. There could possibly be some severe side effects like bloating.
Apart from these medications, if the symptoms are severe the doctor will also recommend surgical treatments. Also, it has been considered that such surgery will be more successful in comparison to the rest.
Things to ask from the doctor?
Well, on your appointment, the doctor will be asking you some questions that you need to answer honestly. Here are some of those which he will probably ask you and they include
- What are your symptoms and how long have you been undergoing them?
- Do these symptoms come and go? Or are they constant?
- Are there any foods or beverages that might trigger your symptoms?
- Do your signs and symptoms include vomiting?
- What treatments have you tried in the past and how effective have they been?
You do not need to panic even if you are suffering from bile reflux. Your condition will be cured and thanks to the various treatments that are available. Make sure you visit your doctor on time for no delays with your treatment.